Virtual Machine Recommendation for Imorgon View and Report Accelerator
What Virtual Machine Infrastructures Are Supported
- Microsoft Hyper V
- Amazon EC2 Windows 2008 R2 m1-large Instances (Beta)
How Do I Install?
- We will/can factory build the complete Imorgon operating image including SQL Server. Please provide your Microsoft Windows server license key and we will insert it into the system.
- Upon building the image, we will send you a rental USB drive with the Imorgon Server Images on it. Please transfer the image to your system and then launch the OS and return the USB drive to us prepaid.
- If you need to have your standard image, we only request that you provide us a bare-bone Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition (or Better) OS image up, running, accessible via VPN and we would like to install the SQL Server 2008 R2 and our applications.
- If you are using Amazon EC2, we will supply the image. Simply instantiate the image on the EC2 region you wish to use.
What OS and Licenses to Buy for the Virtual Machine?
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition (or better) 64-Bit with CAL in the number of the workstations you plan to deploy.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Standard R2 Edition with the CAL in the number of workstations you plan to deploy. There is no need to provide the CAL for the number of modalities.
Main Server Virtual Machine Specification
For the SQL Witness Server, see Witness Server Section Below. If you are mirroring the servers for production, you should create the identically configured VMs then place them in different host CPU on a completely different rack. For demonstration or test, create one VM as the following.
- Allocate a minimum of 40 GB on the base OS Drive
- Allocate a minimum of 150 GB on the SQL and Program storage. Give a drive letter D:
- Allocate a minimum of CPU 2-Cores for Production, Single Core for Test/Demo Machines.
- Allocate a minimum of 16 GB of RAM for Production, 8 GB for Test/Demo Machines.
- The SQL instance name should be named IMORGON.
Block Storage Requirements
Please note that the following SQL drives must be hosted on a blocked storage and not NAS, Windows Share or USB drive. This means that these storage must be provided either from the local disk block, iSCSI or Fibrechannel SAN. This is a requirement since SQL database requires memory mapping which in turn requires block storage. Please note that the SQL transaction size will grow significantly during a massive import and migration phase as well as during temporary mirroring stoppage, this is why we will need a large transaction log drive.
- SQL Data Storage (S: Drive): 250 GB or more Each Primary and secondary.
- SQL Transaction Log (T: Drive): 130 GB Each Primary and secondary.
- SQL Local Backup Disk (R: Drive): 250 GB (see below) Each Primary and secondary.
SQL Backup Storage
The initial backup should be taken to a locally attached block storage disk. This requires either the hard disks or SAN/ iSCSI architecture disks.
SQL Backup Set per day for a large site is 40 GB a day that includes daily differentials and a full backup. We recommend a minimum of 250 GB is recommended to accommodate sudden fluctuations in transaction log backups. Sudden fluctuations are very common especially during the initial phase of the installation where we run reconciliation tasks.
In addition to S: T:, and R: drives for system operations. Images and can be stored on a non-block UNC accessible Share or NAS. USB or Firewire External Drive is not acceptable. For performance reasons, we recommend you use iSCSI or Fibrechannel SAN. However if you have NAS on a minimum of a Gigabit Network, they may be used.
- For demonstration or testing or a Report Accelerator only support, a minimum of 250 GB storage is recommended.
- For cached production operations with Imorgon View, a 1 TB disk should usually be sufficient, but this all depends on the local study volume per day and amount of high-performance access retention period preferred by the users.
The same amount of the image storage space be provided to each Primary and Secondary server.
For Production VMs: Witness Server Specifications
- Single-Core Intel i86 or compatible CPU
- Single 20 GB C: Drive
- Minimum 1.5 GB RAM allocated.
- Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition (32 or 64-bit)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition, or SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition, 2 CALs
(c) 2012 Imorgon Medical LLC. Reviewed and Validated on 6 November 2012